Today is the official publication day for my second YA novel, Cracks     
Woohoo! Etc...look away for a minute while I attempt a cartwheel.


*adjusts clothing and tidies birds-nesty hair*
 
But they’re funny things, publication days, because they don’t really exist. Or at least, not in the sense of their being one particular day on a calendar.
Cracks has been available on Amazon for about six weeks. My publisher has tried to explain the complex system by which warehouses operate and how Amazon is able to get books in early sometimes, but I still don’t really understand it. It remains one of those mysteries of my life, like why my son likes Call of Duty so much and how to make custard  in the microwave (if anyone has ever done this successfully, do share your secret).
So I’m glad I decided to go for a launch party. Last week I had a wonderful evening with friends and family at the Camden branch of Waterstones (who were brilliant hosts...thank you again to the staff there) to launch the book.
This felt like the day when all that hard work, angst, re-writing, biscuit and wine-consumption and gnashing of teeth became worthwhile and I was able to say, ‘This is my book. Hope you like it.’ Today I’m ‘officially’ saying it again. Here’s my book. I really hope you like it. 

Oh and here’s my trailer. Hope you like that too (thanks again to Nick Morgan who made it and brilliant young actor Bailey Pilbeam).





17 comments:

Deb said...

Woohoo! Congratulations, Caroline! Just go careful; those cartwheels can be tricky things to master;)
Well done. Really pleased for you.

Caroline Green said...

Thank you my love! Think I'd better leave the whole cartwheel thing alone..

DT said...

It's a brilliant trailer and a brilliant premise. Congratulations on becoming an author again! This entitles you to Friday chocolate.

To the tweet poles!

JO said...

Hurray - I hope you have the very best day!

AJ Ponder said...

Looks really cool - good luck :)

Joanna said...

Congratulations. The book and trailer look fantastic. Have a well deserved, fantastic day.

Bethany said...

Congratulations! How so very exciting!

Launch parties are always great fun. And I think you're right - in a world where books are always just available all the time it's nice to do something that makes it feel like a real actual time and place event!

Nik Perring said...

Congratulations!

Caroline Green said...

Thank you all. Chocolate seems like a very fine idea...

Debs Riccio said...

Tablespoon of custard powder, half a tablespoon of sugar, mix together with bit of milk then add a half pint of milk and stir.
Microwave for 30 secs. Take out and stir briskly with fork. Microwave for another 30-40 secs, repeat until you're thoroughly fed up with all the beeping, whisking and stirring and throw it over your husband's head.
Works for me.
CONGRATULATIONS on 'Cracks' - looks like a cracking good read (and that actor is adorable!) xxx

Caroline Green said...

I read that as 'weeping and whisking' then. Seems very apt to me.
Thanks Debs!

Fionnuala said...

So many congrats Caroline - you're an inspiration! X

Susie Nott-Bower said...

Congratulations, Caroline - so glad your launch was fab!
Susiex

DT said...

Debs - he's a lucky man... :o)

Debs Riccio said...

Derek, don't know about lucky but he's hot and sweet when I'm microwaving custard that's for sure!

DT said...

At least he got his just desserts...

Gillian McDade said...

Many congrats again, Caroline. Looking forward to reading Cracks! A Crack-ing read :)